The 2012-2013 season kicks off for Rhode Island basketball in Kingston on November 9 against Norfolk State. Expectations are for the Rams to live up to last season's performance. They must offset a loss of 61% of last season's player minutes with the contributions of three incoming freshmen.
The Rhode Island defense will suffer from a 86.7% drop in blocked shots, the largest gap that the team will need to fill. That's followed by rebounding, where they drop another massive 73.8% from last season.
Rhode Island finished last season with a record of 7-24 overall and placed 13th in the A-10 with a conference record of 4-12. The Rams did not make the A-10 tournament. Rhode Island will feel the loss of last year's seniors Jamal Wilson (34 minutes per game), Orion Outerbridge (30 MPG), and Anthony Malhoit (9 MPG). The Rams will also have to get by without several players, including Billy Baron (transferred to Canisius), Jonathan Holton (28 MPG), Dominique McKoy (13 MPG), Levan Shengelia (9 MPG), and Rayvon Harris (transferred to Niagara).
The Rams bring back freshman Mike Powell (3.5 assists/game), junior Nikola Malesevic (11.0 points/game), senior Andre Malone (1.3 steals/game), sophomore T.J. Buchanan (1.3 assists/game), and junior Ryan Brooks (0.9 points/game).
The Rams pick up incoming freshmen including 5-11 Mike Powell, 6-10 Jordan Hare, and 6-8 Mike Aaman. Also joining the team are 6-6 sophomore Jarelle Reischel (transferred from Rice), 6-2 sophomore Xavier Munford, 6-3 sophomore DeShon Minnis (transferred from Texas Tech), and 6-8 junior Gilvydas Biruta (transferred from Rutgers).
The Rams have one game on the schedule against an AP preseason Top 25 team, #4 Ohio State on November 17th. The first A-10 game for Rhode Island is at Richmond on January 9th.
Tags: Jamal Wilson
- Since 2002, Rhode Island has an overall winning percentage of 54.3%. The Rams have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 57.7%.
- The Rams have an average conference finish of 7.0 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 5.2.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 107.7.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Ohio State (#6).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Brown (#311).
- The last time Rhode Island returned less than 35% of the team's statistical production was 2011-2012.
, Orion Outerbridge
, Anthony Malhoit
, Billy Baron
, Jonathan Holton
, Dominique McKoy
, Levan Shengelia
, Rayvon Harris
, Mike Powell
, Nikola Malesevic
, Andre Malone
, T.J. Buchanan
, Ryan Brooks
, Jordan Hare
, Mike Aaman
, Jarelle Reischel
, Xavier Munford
, Biggie Minnis
, Gilvydas Biruta